Matthew 4:17 From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins…
Acts 26:20 But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.
Using Strong’s Concordance:
Repent <3340> μετανοÎω metanoeo
Translated in the King James Version – ‘repent’ 34 times
1) to change one’s mind
2) to change one’s mind for better, heartily to amend with abhorrence of one’s past sins
To repent is not just to be sorry, but to change the way that we live.
To resolve to live our lives by the commandments of Jesus Christ.
John 15:13 Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.14 Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
What God requires of us is:
1. Understand and believe the Gospel preached by Jesus and his apostles.
2. Repent of our sinful way of life – change the way that we live.
3. Be baptised by immersion in water into Jesus Christ for the remission of past sins.
4. Live a new life by his commandments.
Believing and obeying the gospel are acts of faith which will be counted to us for righteousness when Jesus returns to raise and judge the dead.
I hope you find this helpful.