The only way that we can truly express our love for God is by obeying the Gospel preached by Jesus Christ, the Son of God.
John 14:23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
1 John 4:3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. 4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. 5 Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?
Our love for God is demonstrated by our love for our fellow man.
1 John 4:20 If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen? 21 And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.
To obey the gospel preached by Jesus and his apostles, we must:
1. Understand and believe it.
2. Repent of our sinful way of life – change the way we live.
3. Be baptised into Jesus Christ by immersion in water for the remission of past sins.
4. Live a new life by the commandments of Jesus Christ.
5. Meet often with fellow believers to remember his sacrifice by sharing bead and wine.
6. Be faithful until the end of our lives.
7. After baptism we will still sin, but providing we are making a determined effort to live by Christ’s commandments, our sins will be forgiven by confession in prayer.
8. Be ready to give an answer why we believe the gospel to anyone who asks us.
May I suggest that you read:
Your Share in God's Promises: https://www.thisisyourbible.com/library/show/181
I hope this helps.