What is the difference between pride and confidence?
Human pride is a no-no.
- Proverbs 15:25 The LORD will destroy the house of the proud, But He will establish the boundary of the widow.
- Proverbs 16:5 Everyone proud in heart is an abomination to the LORD;
- Proverbs 21:4 A haughty look, a proud heart, And the plowing of the wicked are sin.
- Matthew 18:4 "Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
- 1 Corinthians 13:4 Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up;
- James 4:6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: "God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble."
- 1 Peter 5:5 Likewise you younger people, submit yourselves to your elders. Yes, all of you be submissive to one another, and be clothed with humility, for "God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble."
Confidence must be in God, not in ourselves.
- Psalms 118:8 It is better to trust in the LORD Than to put confidence in man. 9 It is better to trust in the LORD Than to put confidence in princes.
- Proverbs 3:26 For the LORD will be your confidence, And will keep your foot from being caught.
- Proverbs 14:26 In the fear of the LORD there is strong confidence, And His children will have a place of refuge.
Confidence in the promises of God applying to ourselves is viable if we first understand and believe, and then obey the Gospel preached by Jesus Christ and his apostles.
- John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends. 14 "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
- Mark 16:15 And He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature. 16 "He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned.
- Acts 2:36 "Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly that God has made this Jesus, whom you crucified, both Lord and Christ." 37 Now when they heard this, they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Men and brethren, what shall we do?" 38 Then Peter said to them, "Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins…
- Acts 22:16 ‘And now why are you waiting? Arise and be baptized, and wash away your sins, calling on the name of the Lord.’
- Ephesians 3:9 and to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ; 10 to the intent that now the manifold wisdom of God might be made known by the church to the principalities and powers in the heavenly places, 11 according to the eternal purpose which He accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord, 12 in whom we have boldness and access with confidence through faith in Him.
- Philippians 3:3 For we are the circumcision, who worship God in the Spirit, rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh,
- Hebrews 3:6 but Christ as a Son over His own house, whose house we are if we hold fast the confidence and the rejoicing of the hope firm to the end.
- If we understand what God requires of us and do it, our conscience being clear in the matter, then we can have confidence that we will inherit the promise of eternal life in the kingdom of God when Christ returns.
- Hebrews 3:14 For we have become partakers of Christ if we hold the beginning of our confidence steadfast to the end,
- Hebrews 10:35 Therefore do not cast away your confidence, which has great reward.
- 1 John 2:28 And now, little children, abide in Him, that when He appears, we may have confidence and not be ashamed before Him at His coming.
- 1 John 3:21 Beloved, if our heart does not condemn us, we have confidence toward God.
- Galatians 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus. 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
I hope this helps